Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mamma Mia!


Cheese-making and klompen-making. Klompen is Dutch for clogs.


Look at his clogs, he made it himself. Also a pair of traditional wedding clogs.


Klompen!

Blogging has been really useful in helping me keep track of my days and what I've been doing. The time sure is flying by. Here's a quick recap since Friday:

FRIDAY
-did some more retail looksees
-visited Rembrandt's house
-worked in the apartment
-went grocery shopping. Made spaghetti for dinner

SATURDAY
-got up early, went for an 11-mile run (my legs still ache)
-did some shopping in the 9 Streets neighborhood
-checked out some of the hullabaloo of the Gay Pride Parade on the Prinsengracht Canal.
I got tired of waiting for the floats to come by and standing amidst smokers so I left.
-Had dinner at my Mom's friend's house in Amstelveen

SUNDAY, today:
-got up early, panicked about late fees on my AmEx bill. Expense report world, I'm on my way.
-took the bus and metro back to Amstelveen to a place to see cheese and clogs being made.
It's a tourist trap though. They don't actually sell what they make, it's just for demonstration purposes. I got suspicious when the clogs were painted the same as all the tourist shop clogs but cost almost twice as much. I bought some cheese.
-Right now I'm making spaghetti for lunch. Good thing I love spaghetti, right?
The rest of the day has yet to unfold!

-OK I'm back. Kristin J called and invited to meet up with her and Kristin P for coffee & dessert then a 4:00 pm showing of the movie Mamma Mia! I wasn't keen on seeing the movie but I figured, why not? It turned out to be a lot of fun and I laughed a lot.
-Now it's 8:30 pm and I'm packing for my trip to London & Munich tomorrow!

On a totally different note, I just remembered a conversation with Mink, a Dutch design intern at EHQ. He was trying to think of an English term for when two bright colours are next to each other and "it disturbs my eyes". I offered up "clash" but I like "disturbs my eyes" better.

No comments: